How to edit a Canvas submission
A Submission is a completed entry of the app. In Canvas you have the ability to allow for your Canvas users to modify completed submissions on Android and iOS devices as well as on the website. Along with the ability to edit the submission you can just view them or edit them as a whole new submission on mobile.
Note: On the Start Up plan, you can only change this setting for online editing. For your mobile submissions it is defaulted to only View on new apps.
Enabling Submission Editing
To enable the editing of submissions:
- Go to the My Apps tab.
- Cick the app you want to allow Submission Editing for.
- Scroll down to Features.
- Click Edit & View.
- Select who can have access to the editing of a completed submission and click save.
Note: For mobile use you will only be able to edit submissions that are made to the current version of the app. You have to sync the device before the option will become available.
The users you chose will now have the ability to edit all previous and future submissions for this app
Editing Submissions on the Website
First, a few things to know:
- You cannot modify Signatures, Drawings, Static Text (entered from the app builder) or GPS coordinates.
- Fields are not validated for correct input.
- Calculations and Summaries are not recalculated.
- You cannot add new items to a list screen.
How to edit:
- Now that you have selected who can edit submissions for that app you will need to go to Submissions.
- Select the app you just enabled editing for.
- Click on the Submission Date of the submission you wish to edit.
- You will now see an Edit button to the right of every editable field.
- Click Edit to make your changes.
- When you're done, click the checkmark to save.
- Once complete you will see your revisions in the Canvas generated PDF. Anyone with the ability to edit will also have the ability to view who changed what by clicking on Revisions on the left side of the screen.
Viewing and editing submissions on a mobile device
You can also view your submissions from your mobile device. To do that follow these steps:
Please Note: Instructions apply to Canvas version 188.8.131.52 or higher. If you are running an earlier version, scroll down.
- Open the Canvas Mobile App and login to your account.
- Tap the History button at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the submission you would like to view or edit.
Note: You will only be able to edit submissions made to the current version of the app if mobile editing is enabled. You will only be able to view submissions that have mobile viewing enabled.
- View - View will allow you to preview the submission's PDF.
- Edit - Edit will allow you to edit the submission.
- New - New will create a new (duplicate) submission with the data entered from the selected submission.
If you are running an earlier version of Canvas:
- Login to Canvas on your mobile device.
- Click the Menu button in the top corner.
- Click Submissions.
- Select an app.
- Select the submision you would like to edit or view.
You can now filter your submission list to view submissions by app and by date range. Please note, this is only available on Canvas version 184.108.40.206 or higher.
- Click the Filter icon in the top right corner.
- Select the date range to filter by. If you would like to filter by specific apps, select the Show history for which apps? button.
- When you are finished, click Apply
In summary, you can allow certain users to edit submissions by enabling the feature for the app under the features of that app. Once you enable the ability you can open up the submissions of that app and click edit.
If you have any questions about Canvas or need help replacing paper based forms with an Android or Apple device, please don't hesitate to contact us.