Is Canvas HIPAA compliant?
Yes! Security and privacy are some of our core concerns at Canvas. Thus, we equipped our product with the features and capabilities to ensure that your data is secure. Our basic settings provide great security, but you can also enable HIPAA certification*, giving you the highest level security necessary to manage critical patient information. Canvas is utilized by numerous health care workers including hospitals, doctors, nurses and home health care providers.
Some of the features related to enabling HIPAA:
- Incorporating auto-logoffs and session timeout to prevent information leaks due to lost or unsecured devices.
- Disabling auto-email features to prevent accidental disclosure of sensitive information.
- Increased usage of logging and checksums to validate that data has not been manipulated.
If you would like to enable HIPAA on your Canvas account please follow the instructions below:
- Log onto your account.
- Click My Account in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Customize on the left.
- The third option is for HIPAA Compliance, click Edit on the right.
- Check the Enable HIPAA Compliance box and select Save.
In summary, Canvas is HIPAA compliant. A few of the things enabling HIPAA will do are adding session timeouts and automatic log-offs, disabling auto-email, and increasing the use of logging and checksums. To enable this feature go to customize under Your Account. Edit HIPAA Compliance and hit the checkbox to enable it. Don't forget to save.
If you have any questions about Canvas or need help replacing paper based forms with an Android or Apple device, please don't hesitate to contact us.
*Enabling HIPAA Compliance available with select plans. Please visit our Pricing page for more info.