This year on Earth Day, we wanted to highlight five companies who have taken the initiative of going green and increased energy efficiency in the process! Many of these companies are household names or publicly traded, which shows that even large, highly profitable enterprises are taking a proactive approach to reducing their carbon footprint and making a green investment.
- The Hershey Company: One of the oldest chocolate companies in the world, Hershey has set a goal to source only from certified and sustainable cocoa farms by the year 2020. Currently, they are at 30% sustainability, and 97% of their U.S. production comes from zero-waste-to-landfill facilities.
- Ecolab Inc. : Known for helping other companies achieve increased efficiency, Ecolab take the same strategy internally. For example, they were able to save over 175,000 gallons of water in a single plant by installing new energy saving technology. As a company, they regularly work to maintain and surpass their EPA Energy star certification in their global manufacturing plants.
- Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. : With more than 10 plants that are zero waste-to-landfill certified, Coke has put into place sustainability plans such as "Live Positively" that have guided them to reduce their water & energy usage by 15%. Coke is also a member of the United Nations Global Compact that works to set standards in sustainability across the world.
- Unilever PLC : It is hard to believe that a company with over 400 brands under its name could be so green. Since 2010, Unilever has reduced their waste company-wide by 12% and plan to source 100% of their raw materials from sustainable places by 2020. They actually tie executive bonuses to emission reduction goals and targets.
- Schneider Electric : Schneider is known as a global leader in energy automation and sustainability. "Sustainability at the heart of our strategy" is their motto. Currently, they are working towards converting 100 industrial sites to zero waste-to-landfill status. The other great part about their business is that they also help the world become more eco-friendly. Through their maintenance and end of life services, they were able to prevent over 120,000 tons of CO2 emissions. They were recently ranked as the 9th most sustainable corporation in the world by the Corporate Knights.
Similar to these companies, GoCanvas takes corporate social responsibility(CSR) extremely serious. Being an environmentally conscious company that makes a green investment is not just about planting a couple of trees on earth day, it's about creating a mission that is focused on making a positive enviromental impact on the world. Earth day was created to raise awareness on the ways companies can make an enviromental impact by implementing eco-friendly products and reducing their energy consumption and carbon footprint.
Here are a couple of eye-opening stats to illustrate the enviromental impact being made thanks to companies using GoCanvas!
- It Weighs a Ton! - In the average month, GoCanvas will save about 20,000 LBS of paper which is four-and-a-half times the weight of a Rhinoceros, five-and-a-half times the weight of an average car, and about one-tenth the weight of a space shuttle. This is equal to a ton of paper every 3 days.
- Speaking of Space Shuttles - It would take roughly 5 of the world’s most powerful rockets (SpaceX Falcon Heavy) to carry all the paper GoCanvas has saved since its inception!
- Get a Stopwatch - With hundreds of thousands of customers today, GoCanvas processes over 1 million digital submissions on a monthly basis, which equals a submission every 2 seconds!
- Save the Rainforest! - With a million fewer paper forms being used thanks to GoCanvas subscribers, this means we are helping to save roughly 120 trees per month!