Construction site safety is no joke. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), there are more than 200,000 construction site non-fatal accidents every year. That’s why it’s so important to have a site safety plan in place and follow it religiously.
Below are some general safety guidelines you can follow to ensure site safety every day.
1. Establish a site-specific safety plan.
This is the first and most important step in ensuring site safety. You need to have a plan that outlines the specific risks present at your site and how to mitigate them. Your safety plan should be created with input from all team members, including, but not limited to, management and construction workers.
2. Conduct daily site safety inspections.
You need to make sure your site safety plan is being followed, once it’s in place. That’s why it’s important to conduct regular site safety inspections and safety meetings. These inspections should be thorough and conducted by a designated site safety officer. Pay attention to obvious and potential hazards, and make sure all workers are following the site safety plan.
3. Keep a site safety log.
In addition to conducting site safety inspections, you should keep a site safety log. This log should be used to record any incidents that occur at the site, as well as any near-misses. Keeping a site safety log will help you identify patterns and trends so you can make changes to your site safety plan as needed.
4. Make site safety a priority. Site safety should be a top priority for everyone on your team. That means taking the time to review the site safety plan regularly, conducting site safety training for all new employees, and being vigilant about safety hazards at all times. It is important to have a first aid kit on site in case of emergencies, as well as, other needed safety tools including hard hats, hearing protection, barricades, fire prevention, fire extinguishers, foot protection, and more.
Construction Safety Inspection Checklists
We’ve put together a few different checklists, to help you ensure site safety
General Construction Site Safety Checklist
Any type of construction site can use this general safety checklist:
- Review the site safety plan with all workers before work begins
- Inspect the site for hazards before work begins and throughout the day
- Ensure that all workers are wearing the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Prohibit drugs and alcohol on site
- Implement a site health and safety log to record any incidents that occur
- Make site safety a priority for everyone on site
Residential Construction Site Safety Checklist
In addition to the items on the general construction site safety checklist, here are a few additional items to include on a residential construction site safety checklist:
- Inspect the work area for trip hazards like uneven pavement and loose cables
- Inspect scaffolding, ladders, and other fall protection equipment before use
- Train every construction worker in power tool safety
- Secure all site materials to prevent them from falling
- Implement safety meetings
Industrial Construction Site Safety Checklist
Here are a few additional items to include on an industrial construction site safety checklist:
- Inspect the site for hazards like loose debris and exposed electrical cords, wires, and power lines
- Inspect site machinery and heavy equipment for hazards like blind spots and defective parts
- Implement a site traffic control plan to prevent vehicle accidents
- Make sure all construction workers are properly trained in the use of site machinery
Commercial Construction Site Safety Checklist
In addition to the items on the general construction site safety checklist, here are a few additional items to include on a commercial construction site safety checklist:
- Inspect the site for hazards like trip hazards and loose debris
- Post signs and barrels around the perimeter of the construction project
Ensure Construction Site Safety with GoCanvas
Following these simple checklists can help you avoid potential accidents and injuries, and keep your construction site safe for everyone involved. GoCanvas provides a mobile app for easy site safety checklist management. With GoCanvas, you can easily record and track site safety incidents, ensuring that your construction site is safe for everyone involved. Contact us today to learn more.