Getting Setup is Easy
GoCanvas offers for FREE the ability to add Barcode & QR code scanning to any of your GoCanvas apps. Retail, warehousing, field services, manufacturing and other businesses reap productivity benefits in using barcode scanning including:
- Error Reduction - scanning data is much more accurate than having users manually enter data
- Time Savings - scanning dramatically reduces the time your employees spend gathering information, especially when doing inventory
Here are the steps to add Barcode scanning functionality to your GoCanvas apps. The good news? Your mobile device already has a built-in barcode scanner/barcode reader (the camera), and you don't need to download any barcode software.
- First, you will log on to the GoCanvas website and open the app you wish to use in the
- Now you will add a Barcode field to the screen within the app where you would like to use this feature
- You will now name the Barcode field whatever you wish it to be, for example, "Scan Barcode", and press the "Enter" key
- Now make sure to press "publish to device" to make your changes live on your smartphone or iOS device
Once the desired App has the Barcode field(s) added, you are ready to move on to your smartphone or tablet and start using this functionality.
- On your device, you will launch and login to the GoCanvas client as usual and then launch the app you just added the barcode field to. You will now see the text “Capture Barcode” below the barcode field.
Click the “Capture Barcode” button
- You will now see a green square in the center of the screen
- Line up the barcode within the square to capture
- The square will turn green or red (depending on the device) and the code will be captured like taking a picture. You don’t have to do anything more than lining up the barcode within the box and wait for it to capture
- Once the barcode has been captured you will see the screen go back to your GoCanvas app and the Barcode field will be populated with the code
You can supercharge your application by having your barcode pull up a product catalog, price, patient record, location history or anything at all. To learn more about this feature and info on using Barcode scanning with Reference Data click here.
If you have any issues or need assistance setting up this or any of our features please don't hesitate to contact us.