Editor's update: The contest ended Friday, March 27th, at 11:59 PM. We'll be picking winners Tuesday, March 31st.
What does 49 minutes mean to your business? For Pebble, makers of the Pebble smartwatch, it means $1 million. At least it did on this Tuesday, when the company launched the Kickstarter for its new smartwatch, the Pebble Time. Over the next day, the company raised over $9 million, shattering all records for the first day of Kickstarter campaigns.
So why are so many people excited about the new Pebble Time? From the awesome now color e-ink screen to the improved time notification system that intelligently manages your alerts, the new Pebble looks like an incredible pickup both for smartwatch first-timers and enthusiasts alike.
While smartwatches have traditionally been thought of as consumer devices, they have serious potential in the enterprise world as well. Want some examples? We’ve come up with 5 scenarios* where having a smartwatch might improve your business.
The Pebble Steel
Check them out below – but if you already know you want a smartwatch and you can’t justify the purchase right now, we’ve got a solution for you.
Just Tweet this blog post link, with the hashtag #WinAPebble to be entered into a contest to win one of three Pebble Times.
1. Respond to emergencies with up to date information
Scenario: You’re a first responder entering into a burning house. You were told that there were three people inside who need rescuing. You’re frantically searching for them. Then you feel it – three quick pulses of vibration on your wrist. The all clear signal, meaning everyone is safe. Relieved, you head towards the exit.
One of the most exciting applications for smartphones is in dangerous, rough and time sensitive jobs. Last month, Pebble announced a partnership with first-responder software maker, Commandware. The integration will allow first responders to use the smartwatch messaging capabilities, as well as using vibration alerts to let inform them of truly crucial information that can’t be missed. The deal will help firefighter and paramedics get access to smart watches to help keep them informed but not distracted.
2. It is Uber convenient to take a Lyft to your next destination
Scenario: You have a meeting ending at 11:30 and another one starting at noon. With a half hour car trip in between, waiting until your 11:30 to call your ride will make you late. But pulling out your phone in the middle of a discussion would be rude. Without missing a beat, your order a car from your watch while keeping your meeting undisturbed.
Using transportation apps is already very convenient, but there are some times when you need a ride and just can’t pull out your phone to order a car. In the past you’d be torn between disrupting a conversation and losing time. With Pebble Time, you won’t have to.
3. Be the first to know about safety incidents
Scenario: You are a field safety technician on an oil rig. You aren’t on shift, but you are always on alert. Suddenly, you get an alert. Incoming Dispatch – incident report. Something has gone wrong and now you’ve got fix it. Fast.
The current GoCanvas integration with Pebble elegantly shown off by GoCanvas CEO James Quigley (note that this is the original Pebble, not the updated Pebble time)
There are many industries where the crucial minutes after an incident can make a world of difference. Though we often have our phones on us, we all go an hour or two without checking our sometimes.
With GoCanvas Dispatch, you can send your crucial business processes straight to your field workers. They won’t have to check their phones to be notified of the business apps waiting for them to complete – they’ll get them within moments of sending the dispatch.
Setting up GoCanvas Dispatch notifications to work with Pebble is a breeze and a great way to integrate your smartwatch into your business.
4. Get approval on the fly to speed up your decision-making
Scenario: You are the shift supervisor at a manufacturing plant. Your employees send you their equipment inspection through GoCanvas. You want to be able to approve or reject these on the fly. Using your smart watch, you can do this all from your wrist.
Approval based workflows are the center of many crucial business applications. Oftentimes, waiting an approval can be holding back other important processes. While you want to make sure you’re giving each approval a thorough examination, real time access to these documents allows you to see them faster and help your organization to keep running smoothly.
5. Order a pizza with your smartwatch
Scenario: You don’t need a scenario for this. It’s always a good time for pizza.
It is a universally accepted that everyone loves pizza. Far less exciting is the act of picking up your phone and dialing in an order or entering it in an app. Especially employees working a long night unexpectedly at the office.
But soon – you won’t have to. Dominoes recently released an app that allows you to track a pizza on your smartwatch. Immediate pizza ordering is the logical next step.
The ability to order a pizza at the single press of a button, immediately is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
If you want to start sharing information, travelling and ordering pizzas in style with a new Pebble Time, share this blog post with the hashtag #WinAPebble before the end of the Pebble Time Kickstarter next month.
May the odds be ever in your favor
*Not all of the applications listed for the smart phones are available yet. But they are all totally technically feasible on the Pebble Time and there is reason to believe they might be available soon.
1. OFFICIAL RULES. The following are the official rules (“Rules”) for the #WinAPebble Promotion (“Promotion”). In order to enter the Promotion, you must agree to these Rules. You agree that submission of an entry form and/or participation in the Promotion constitutes your agreement to these Rules.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2. SPONSOR. The Promotion is sponsored by GoCanvas. (“Sponsor”), a Virginia-based corporation with its principal place of business at 11911 Freedom Drive, Suite 8500, Reston, VA 8 20190.
3. ENTRY & ELIGIBILITY. To enter the Promotion, follow the directions on the #WinAPebble Promotion page located at (“the Promotion Website”). There is one way to enter:
a. Twitter entry. To enter the Promotion through Twitter, participants must follow the rules on the Promotion Page, including tweeting a message with #WinAPebble during the Promotion Period.
Limit one entry per person per day through Twitter. All entries must be received by the end of the Promotion Period in order to participate. The Promotion Website’s database clock will be the official time keeper for the Promotion.
Entries that are lost, late, incomplete, misdirected or altered for any reason, including hardware, software, browser or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility will be ineligible.
Only legal residents of the fifty (50) United States who are 18 years of age or older may enter and participate in the Promotion, except employees, agents, or representatives of the Sponsor or any of its subsidiaries, or members of their immediate family.
4. WINNER SELECTION. After the Promotion Period, Sponsor will conduct a random drawing using randomization methods selected by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, and select three (3) winners from Twitter Entry. All decisions of Sponsor on all matters relating to this Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, related to its selection and determination of the winners of this Sweepstakes shall be final and binding and not subject to challenge or appeal. The potential winners will be notified by phone, e-mail or otherwise as Sponsor may determine using the contact information provided at the time of entry. Winners must respond and claim their prize by April 7th 2015 at 5pm Eastern Standard Time. If winners aren’t able to be contact by Sponsor by then, the Prize may, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, be forfeited and/or awarded to an alternate winner.
a. Grand Prize. Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, three (3) Grand Prize winners will receive a prize that includes: Pebble Time. The total approximate retail value (ARV) of the Grand Prize is $160. The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible Entries received during the applicable Promotional Period. Taxes related to this prize, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winner.
6. GENERAL. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By entering and participating in the Promotion, you agree to be bound by these Rules and by Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Promotion. Entrants are required to provide accurate, valid and truthful information at all times. Sponsor will reject and delete any Entry that it discovers to be false, fraudulent, illegal or deceptive and will disqualify any entrant who tampers with the Entry process, the operation of the Promotion, or is otherwise in violation of the Rules. Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors which result in the omission, interruption, deletion, defect, destruction, alteration, and/or delay of any Entry. Sponsor is not responsible for any technical, network, electronic, computer, hardware and/or software malfunction, problem, incompatibility, congestion or failure of any kind. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion at any time, in its sole discretion, if the Promotion is not capable of completion as planned, including without limitation, the lack of Entry submissions, incomplete Entries, computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, without notice. Upon cancellation or termination of the Promotion for any reason, Sponsor shall have no obligation to award prizes or compensation of any kind.
By submitting an Entry and participating in the Promotion, you represent and warrant that (i) your Entry is original and that you are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Entry, or you have obtained the necessary permission to include the Entry in the Promotion, and that you have the right and authority to submit the Entry in the Promotion; (ii) your Entry does not violate any third party intellectual property or proprietary rights; and (iii) you are otherwise not in violation of any applicable laws, rules and/or regulations.
By submitting an Entry and participating in the Promotion, you agree and hereby grant Sponsor and its affiliates permission to use, copy, modify, publish, and/or reproduce your Entry, including but not limited to your name, likeness, image, story and photos, for any purpose, including but not limited to marketing, media, editorial, commercial, advertising, promotional and/or publicity purposes, in any form of media anywhere in the world, without further compensation to you. You also agree to participate in any marketing, media, editorial, commercial, advertising, promotional and/or publicity activity related to the Promotion.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU HEREBY AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR AND ITS AFFILIATES, AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, LICENSEES, SUCCESSORS, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, ACTIONS, LOSSES, LIABILITIES, DAMAGES, PROCEEDINGS, COSTS (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND EXPENSES FOR ANY INJURY, DAMAGE OR LOSS CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED, BASED UPON, OR ARISING FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE OR ANY PART OF THE PRIZE, ENTERING THE Promotion, PARTICIPATION IN THE Promotion, OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE RELATED ACTIVITY OR EVENT.
In no event shall Sponsor be liable to a winner or entrant for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages of any kind, whether in contract, tort, negligence, strict liability, statutory or any other theory of liability arising from or related to the Promotion, or any aspect of winner’s or entrant’s participation in or termination from the Promotion as provided herein, even if Sponsor has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event shall Sponsor be liable to a winner or entrant for any amount with respect to winner’s or entrant’s participation in or disqualification from the Promotion, or from the termination or cancellation of the Promotion. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or related to the Promotion are hereby excluded, and you expressly waive any and all such rights.
If any section, provision, term or clause shall be held or found to be unenforceable or invalid by a court decision, statute, rule or otherwise, the remaining provisions shall not be affected thereby and shall continue in full force and effect and such provision may be modified or severed from these Rules to the extent necessary to make such provision enforceable and consistent with the remainder of these Rules.