This is the 41st National Small Business Week. Big business may fill the news, but small businesses keep our economy strong. With a changing technology landscape, how are small businesses reacting? Here are 18 statistics showing amazing growth and opportunity for small business and technology.
Small Business Technology Statistics
1) Only 53% of businesses today have a website (Statistic Brain)
2) 1.3 billion people will telecommute by 2015 (Get Busy Media)
3) 4 out of 5 consumers use smartphones to shop (ComScore, 2012)
4) Less than 5% of business websites are optimized for mobile users (Bizness Apps)
5) In 2012, 60% of local businesses didn’t have their phone number on their website (BIA Kelsey)
6) 15% of small businesses built mobile optimized websites in 2013 (Borrell 2013)
7) Two thirds of small business would find it a major challenge to survive without wireless technology (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
8) 41% of small businesses used email marketing to customers in 2013, a 25% jump over the previous year (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
9) 66% of small business owners are using mobile devices or solutions as part of their day to day operations (Constant Contact 2013)
10) 50% of online sales are lost because visitors can’t find content (Forrester 2012)
11) 27% of small business have no IT support (SMB Group 2014)
12) The main way small businesses use mobile technology? Social media and email marketing are the top two reasons
13) 92% of SMBs are using at least one cloud business solution. (SMB Group 2014)
14) The cloud has helped SMB’s reduce IT workload by 42% (Microsoft 2012)
15) Nearly 8 out of 10 SMBs still use manual integration such as manual Excel files, or custom code (SMB Group 2014)
16) SMBs will increase technology spending 50% by 2015 (Microsoft 2012)
17) Small business participation on LinkedIn rose from 31% to 36% in 2013. Facebook participation decreased from 44% to 41% that same year (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
18) 43% of small business spend 6 hours or more each week on social media (Joy Mali 2013)
Hope you enjoyed these small business and technology statistics. But you may be wondering…
What does that mean for small businesses today?
- Small businesses see the benefits of technology for their businesses, especially in marketing and helping with day-day operations.
- Major potential for small businesses lies in harnessing technology for customer interactions. Important areas include: optimized mobile pages and product information on their websites.
- Integration can help unlock potential and productivity in the products small businesses already use.
How has your use of technology changed over time? What opportunities do you see for 2014? Leave a comment and let us know!
Save Hundreds of Hours This Year
Discover how small businesses are streamlining their processes with mobile apps with our free ebook: